Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Responses to Will Alexander

Will Alexander is kind of nuts! Or I guess I should just say he's really, really out there. Listening to him during the Af Am class on Monday was really interesting, as was the discussion before he came in. Sadly, I thought the reading was about as boring as all readings--I just can't process words fast enough aurally. I did like the Heidegger poem, though. (Spell check thinks that should be headgear, by the way.)

I think it's interesting how--though Alexander's poetic process is very automatic, like it just comes out of him upon provocation and he can't reliably tell you what inspired it or what the message it--what his poems do seems to match up with his personal philosophy. His poems go along with his poetics more than anyone I think I know of. One example: In the Af Am class we were talking about synecdoche in the Exobiology book and how basically you can take one chunk of the poems to stand for the whole thing--it's crazy and wack and out there, but it's a repeating pattern and no need to really read the poem in order. Then when he came he stressed the importance of his nonsequential thinking process in his poetry and in his life in general.

ANYWAY I'd like to post more examples bc that's not the best one...but I have to go take the GRE. See you in class. I suppose you can use the comments of this post to discuss Alexander.

P.S. You all shoulda come to the class. 


3 comments:

  1. So do you think he actually had a conversation with a hummingbird, or was that just a metaphor?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whitney, I must say I'm a bit surprised to see that question coming from you, since you asked that question about shamanism. I thought you would have really zeroed in on his talk about the divinity in language.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I did. I totally get it. However, I think it still needs to be examined.

    ReplyDelete